Monday, August 11, 2014

HeartBeat

Life. Death. And...Love?

Emma would give anything to talk to her mother one last time. Tell her about her slipping grades, her anger with her stepfather, and the boy with the bad reputation who might be the only one Emma can be herself with.

But Emma can't tell her mother anything. Because her mother is brain-dead and being kept alive by machines for the baby growing inside her.

Meeting bad-boy Caleb Harrison wouldn't have interested Old Emma. But New Emma-the one who exists in a fog of grief, who no longer cares about school, whose only social outlet is her best friend Olivia-New Emma is startled by the connection she and Caleb forge.

Feeling her own heart beat again wakes Emma from the grief that has grayed her existence. Is there hope for life after death-and maybe, for love?



 I absolutely loved this book. The emotions that Emma was feeling were written so well I could feel all her hate and anger towards Dan. And even though I've never lost anyone close, I could feel her loss seeping out of the pages into me. When she met Caleb and they both saw each other, I mean really saw each other for who they really were. Not the perfect grades girl or the boy who steals cars, but the loneliness and anger they both shared but never told anyone about. It's hard for me to imagine anything happening to my mother. She's my rock. But when you really sit and think about it, nothing is ever going to stay the same. Emma has definitely taught me that you can have someone with you one minute then the next minute they are reaching for a piece of toast and are gone. The small split second and everything you thought you knew or thought would be there forever is gone. You can't ever take anyone or anything for granted. I really loved her friend Olivia and her aversion to anything tech. I saw our generation represented in her parents. On there phones every two seconds without ever looking up to experience what is right in front of all of us. Or having an actual face to face conversation. We get so caught up in trying to make our lives look as though we are actually living on a social media site, that we lose what's important. Which is actually living in the moment rather than trying to capture it and give it to other people. I also stopped and wondered a few times if what Dan did was the right thing. Is it okay to keep someone alive, who is brain dead, just to keep the baby they were carrying. There are so many arguments about that kind of situation that you could make. But just like anything in life there are Pros and Cons. I have to reiterate that I love,love,love,loved this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment