Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Of Monsters and Madness Review!

Overview:
A romantic, historical retelling of classic Gothic horror featuring Edgar Allan Poe and his character Annabel Lee, from a New York Times best-selling author.

Summoned to her father's home in 1820's Philadelphia, a girl finds herself in the midst of a rash of gruesome murders in which he might be implicated. She is torn romantically between her father's assistants-one kind and proper, one mysterious and brooding-who share a dark secret and may have more to do with the violent events than they're letting on.









I was drawn to this book because it was about Edgar Allan Poe. I was also curious as to how Annabel Lee played a role in this book. I really enjoyed her character all except the fact that she was a little demure in the fact that she just wanted to please everyone. I would have loved to see her be a little stronger willed and tell her father just exactly what she thought of him. There is a point where she does that, but its only after she's found out everything that's going on in the house. It was a little obvious that Edgar and Allan were the same person, but I was thinking that it was a split personality disorder. Not a Jekyl/Hyde thing were he drinks a serum to bring out his darker side (which he does). This book is also set in Poe's earlier days before his most famous works were written. Even so, I was reminded a lot of The Raven the movie that tells Poe's story as if in his final days a seriel killer was using his works to commit murders and eventually has Poe drink a poison to save his love. And although all of that was going on in my head I still really enjoyed the story. I couldn't stop reading to see how it would turn out and I'm dying to read more! I know that this isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment