Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The Help Review

Overview: Twenty-two-year-old Skeeter has just returned home after graduating from Ole Miss. She may have a degree, but it is 1962, Mississippi, and her mother will not be happy till Skeeter has a ring on her finger. Skeeter would normally find solace with her beloved maid Constantine, the woman who raised her, but Constantine has disappeared and no one will tell Skeeter where she has gone.


Aibileen is a black maid, a wise, regal woman raising her seventeenth white child. Something has shifted inside her after the loss of her own son, who died while his bosses looked the other way. She is devoted to the little girl she looks after, though she knows both their hearts may be broken.


Minny, Aibileen's best friend, is short, fat, and perhaps the sassiest woman in Mississippi. She can cook like nobody's business, but she can't mind her tongue, so she's lost yet another job. Minny finally finds a position working for someone too new to town to know her reputation. But her new boss has secrets of her own.


Seemingly as different from one another as can be, these women will nonetheless come together for a clandestine project that will put them all at risk. And why? Because they are suffocating within the lines that define their town and their times. And sometimes lines are made to be crossed.


My thoughts: I watched the movie that is based off of this book. I loved it. So I decided to 
give the book a try. And of course I liked it better than the movie lol I know 
that we as a nation have always had problems with race. I'm not here to get into 
a debate or argument about it. To be honest I agree with Morgan Freeman about 
the whole race issue. He did an interview with Mike Wallace from 60 minutes a 
long time ago where he said that to get rid of racism is to stop 
talking about it. Stop calling people white or black and just look at them as 
the person they are.

This book made me 
think,it made me hurt,it made me angry,and at times it made me extremely happy. 
Which in my opinion makes this a very good book if it can make me feel that 
much. The characters were so well written and fleshed out. Their back stories 
were so full and rich that it didn't leave your mind trying to make up things 
they had done and yes I know that the voices of all these people are pretty 
stereo typical southern accents, but that's what made it all the more perfect. I'm from the south and that's they way we talk at times. Not that anyone that talks like that is uneducated which is what most people think. I absolutely loved this book and I definitely recommend reading this!

No comments:

Post a Comment