Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The 100 Review (some spoilers)

In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.

Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.
 


My thoughts: I got this book as a review copy off of Netgalley. I was drawn to this book initially because I had heard about the television show. I've never actually watched the tv show about the book,but I usually like to read a book before I watch a movie or tv show just to see how they differ. Plus the whole concept of the show interested me enough to want to read the book. So as you've read by the over overview The last remaining human colony fled to space to escape the nuclear winter that had consumed the Earth. They live on three connected spaceships in outer space called the Colony. They are divided into three main colonies; The first one or really the one where the wealthy and most notable citizens live is called Phoenix. The other two are Walden and Arden, which is where most of the people who do the jobs others wouldn't want live. There are four POV's in this book. Each chapter is labeled with the name of the person who's pov you're reading. So it's not confusing at all in that department. I've always been a fan of different pov's and this one I was really impressed with because you have most of them experiencing the same thing but with different thoughts about it. Which is what I really liked about this book. There is one pov that is still on the ship so you still know what is going there. I also really loved how little by little you start to learn about each character and what they did to be put in prison. I tried to read a book sort of like this a long time ago and just couldn't get into it, but this one was so captivating and the detail was so well done that I could see the stars in the sky and I felt the majesty of seeing the first sunrise on Earth in 300 years. I can't wait to read the second one called Day 21.

No comments:

Post a Comment