Thursday, August 20, 2015

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl Review

Overview:
This is the funniest book you’ll ever read about death. 
 
It is a universally acknowledged truth that high school sucks. But on the first day of his senior year, Greg Gaines thinks he’s figured it out. The answer to the basic existential question: How is it possible to exist in a place that sucks so bad? His strategy: remain at the periphery at all times. Keep an insanely low profile. Make mediocre films with the one person who is even sort of his friend, Earl.
        This plan works for exactly eight hours. Then Greg’s mom forces him to become friends with a girl who has cancer. This brings about the destruction of Greg’s entire life.


My Thoughts: I bought this book because I had seen it was being made into a movie. The movie trailer looked really funny so I decided I would try and read the book. I usually like to read a book before I see the movie. That doesn't always happen but in this case it did and I'm so glad I picked this book up. I was pretty much laughing through the whole thing. I know that it says "This is the funniest book you’ll ever read about death." , I definitely didn't expect it to be as funny as it was. Earl was probably my favorite character in the book. He was so vulgar and cussed like a sailor but he actually cared about Rachel and made a point to tell Greg exactly what he needed to hear. I also really liked the way it was written like a script in some places and the in bullet points in another. That made it even more fun to read. I really want to see the movie now that I've read the book. It seems like it would transition well into a movie (if they didn't mess it up). 

No comments:

Post a Comment