Sunday, June 30, 2013

What's in a Series? Part 2


I'm doing a part two for all of the series I haven't finished reading yet. I love each and everyone of these series, but it just seems that they keep coming out with new books that look good. I can't help but start a new one with out finishing the other ones I have. I'm trying really hard to stop doing that, but it doesn't always work out. So here we go!













I love this series so much. I've read the first four more than once. It was one of those I grew up with like Harry Potter and The Chronicles of Narnia. I cried with these girls and laughed with them. I felt their heart break and fell in love when they did. If you've read my post about sisterhood everlasting you'll know that I had no idea that there was a fifth book to this series. So I have to call this one unfinished. The fifth one came out in 2011 and for some reason I didn't hear anything about it. Even though I haven't read the last book of this series these books are so wonderful. Check them out!


Overview: Carmen got the jeans at a thrift shop. They didn't look all that great: they were worn, dirty, and speckled with bleach. On the night before she and her friends part for the summer, Carmen decides to toss them. But Tibby says they're great. She'd love to have them. Lena and Bridget also think they're fabulous. Lena decides that they should all try them on. Whoever they fit best will get them. Nobody knows why, but the pants fit everyone perfectly. Even Carmen (who never thinks she looks good in anything) thinks she looks good in the pants. Over a few bags of cheese puffs, they decide to form a sisterhood and take the vow of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants . . . the next morning, they say good-bye. And then the journey of the pants — and the most memorable summer of their lives — begins.






I probably won't be done with this series for another 3 years, but I love it so much. The different take on vampires is probably my favorite part. I also like the fact that there is one clear villain the entire time. There are other villains, but having a main one is awesome. There's always a lot going on in these books, but I like that about them. I like my books to have a little drama in them. There are also (as of right now) three novella's out, that go along with these books. I would recommend reading the novella's after the books that came before them. Not sure how much sense that made, but hopefully you caught my drift. Do yourself a much needed favor and check this series out.

Overview: The House of Night series is set in a world very much like our own, except in 16-year-old Zoey Redbird's world, vampyres have always existed. In this first book in the series, Zoey enters the House of Night, a school where, after having undergone the Change, she will train to become an adult vampire—that is, if she makes it through the Change. Not all of those who are chosen do. It's tough to begin a new life, away from her parents and friends, and on top of that, Zoey finds she is no average fledgling. She has been Marked as special by the vampyre Goddess, Nyx. But she is not the only fledgling at the House of Night with special powers. When she discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite club, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look deep within herself for the courage to embrace her destiny—with a little help from her new vampyre friends.




These books are amazing! I love fiction books with angel themes. These are so different from any angel books that I've ever read before. This book has so much of its own myth in it (well maybe, I haven't read up on any of the myth in them so I'm not sure if it's her own imagination or something that's been studied). I know they just recently came out with a movie of the first book in the series. I haven't seen it so I don't know how close it is to the books or if it's even any good. I know City of Heavenly Fire is not out yet. I'm also thinking there is one more after that, but don't quote me on that. This definitely a series you should check out.


Overview:  When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder—much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It’s hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing—not even a smear of blood—to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?
This is Clary’s first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It’s also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace’s world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know...







These books go along with The Mortal Instruments series up above. I actually haven't started this series yet. I have Clockwork Angel on my book shelf I just haven't gotten around to it. Cassandra has said that you should read these before you read City of Fallen Angels and City of Lost Souls. Because there are characters in these books that correspond with characters in those books. I'm sure though you could read them by themselves and it would be okay as well. 


Overview:  Magic is dangerous—but love is more dangerous still.
When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos.
Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What’s more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own.
Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by—and torn between—two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length . . . everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world. . . . and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.







I love this series. I have the last two, but I haven't gotten around to reading them. It's a dystopian series where when you turn 16 you go to a matching ceremony to be matched with the person you will be married to. There are other things involved with the characters of this book and I feel like if I start to talk about it I'll spoil it and I don't want to do that.You'll have to just go and read them for yourself.


Overview:  Cassia has always trusted the Society to make the right choices for her: what to read, what to watch, what to believe. So when Xander's face appears on-screen at her Matching ceremony, Cassia knows he is her ideal mate . . . until she sees Ky Markham's face flash for an instant before the screen fades to black. The Society tells her it's a glitch, a rare malfunction, and that she should focus on the happy life she's destined to lead with Xander. But Cassia can't stop thinking about Ky, and as they slowly fall in love, Cassia begins to doubt the Society's infallibility and is faced with an impossible choice: between Xander and Ky, between the only life she's known and a path that no one else has dared to follow.






I've actually only read the first book of this series, and I need to buy the last three. But I loved the first book so much. Ted Dekker is one of those authors that I can just about read anything he writes. He just has a way of keeping you on the edge of your seat. I'm a sucker for thrillers and that's what he writes mainly. Yes, he is a christian writer, but you can't even tell these books have anything to do with Christianity. He makes it more about the struggle between good and evil. Please check out his books they are amazing.


Overview: Thomas Hunter, supreme commander of the Forest Guard, has seen a great evil decimate much of his beautiful world. With a dwindling army and an epic threat, Thomas is forced to supplement his fighters with new recruits ages 16 and 17. From thousands, four will be chosen to lead a special mission. Unknown to Thomas, the chosen four are redirected to a different endgame. They must find the seven lost Books of History before the Dark One. For these seven books have immense power over the past, present, and future, controlling not only the destiny of their world . . . but that of ours as well.





And here is another series by Ted Dekker that I haven't finished. Please, don't think I haven't finished either of these because they aren't good. They are, well I haven't started this series yet, but I know it will be. Plus this has some of the same characters as The Lost Books above. The overview I have down below is from Green. It's book zero in this series. Since this is The Circle series Green is the book you can read either at the beginning or at the end. Like I said above, definitely give any of his books a look.

Overview: As foretold by ancient prophets, an apocalypse destroyed Earth during the twenty-first century. But two thousand years later Elyon set upon the earth a new Adam. This time, however, he gave humanity an advantage. What was once unseen became seen. It was good and it was called...Green.
But the evil Teeleh bided his time in a Black Forest. Then, when least expected, a twenty-four year old named Thomas Hunter fell asleep in our world and woke up in that future Black Forest. A gateway was opened for Teeleh to ravage the land. Devastated by the ruin, Thomas Hunter and his Circle swore to fight the dark scourge until their dying death.
That was then. Now the Circle has lost all hope. And Samuel, Thomas Hunter's cherished son, has turned his back on his father and is aligning dark forces to wage the final war. Thomas is crushed--but determined to rescue the Circle and his son even if he has to cross two worlds to do so.





Just like with every other series I started reading these books on a whim. They weren't the best books I've ever read but they weren't bad either. I never got to finish them because I couldn't find Afterlife anywhere. So just like every other series it got pushed to the back burner like everything else. I really want to finish these one day. I can't really get into to much of what they are about because I'll spoil the first book for you. So go check it out and see what you think.


Overview: Bianca wants to escape.
She's been uprooted from her small hometown and enrolled at Evernight Academy, an eerie Gothic boarding school where the students are somehow too perfect: smart, sleek, and almost predatory. Bianca knows she doesn't fit in.
Then she meets Lucas. He's not the "Evernight type" either, and he likes it that way. Lucas ignores the rules, stands up to the snobs, and warns Bianca to be careful—even when it comes to caring about him.
"I couldn't stand it if they took it out on you," he tells Bianca, "and eventually they would."
But the connection between Bianca and Lucas can't be denied. Bianca will risk anything to be with Lucas, but dark secrets are fated to tear them apart . . . and to make Bianca question everything she's ever believed.






I've only read the first two books, but wow! As soon as I started reading Fallen I was captivated. It pulls you in and doesn't stop even at the end. And just like the books above if I start talking to much about these books I'll ruin it for you. A lot of people have given these books bad reviews, but I loved them. So I'll just let you make up your own mind about them.


Overview: What if the person you were meant to be with could never be yours?
There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.
Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she sees him on her first day at the Sword & Cross boarding school in sultry Savannah, Georgia. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are all screw-ups, and security cameras watch every move.
Even though Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce—and goes out of his way to make that very clear—she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, she has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret . . . even if it kills her.





I had Out of the Silent Planet for awhile before I actually read it. I tried to read it once before and just couldn't get through it. That happens with some of the books I get. But if I put them down for awhile and then come back to them later I usually find that I can get through them and actually like them. This isn't the kind of book I usually go for. It's Science Fiction and even though I like pretty much everything. I don't read this genre enough. I made myself try and get past the first bit of it. Which is probably the slowest part in the book. It's not bad, it's just slow. The rest of it is so different from anything I've ever read I was kinda blown away by the imagination of it all. I've read all of The Chronicles of Narnia and I loved that series. C.S. Lewis was also a Christian writer. But there again he doesn't have overtly suggestive christian themes in his books. If you like Science Fiction then you'll definitely like these. If not give the first one a try anyways.

Overview: Out of the Silent Planet begins the adventures of the remarkable Dr. Ransom. Here, that estimable man is abducted by a megalomaniacal physicist and his accomplice and taken via spaceship to the red planet of Malacandra. The two men are in need of a human sacrifice, and Dr. Ransom would seem to fit the bill. Once on the planet, however, Ransom eludes his captors, risking his life and his chances of returning to Earth, becoming a stranger in a land that is enchanting in its difference from Earth and instructive in its similarity.







I've read the first three of this series and the only one I have left to get is the very last one. I really like this series so far. It's different from all the vampire, witch, and angel stuff that I read. I'm not going to go into what this book is about because it'll give it away. The Overview is below so definitely check it out!


Overview: After a horrible accident claimed the lives of her family, sixteen-year-old Ever Bloom can see people’s auras, hear their thoughts, and know someone’s entire life story by touching them. Going out of her way to avoid human contact and suppress her abilities, she has been branded a freak at her new high school—but everything changes when she meets Damen Auguste. Damen is gorgeous, exotic and wealthy. He’s the only one who can silence the noise and random energy in her head—wielding a magic so intense, it’s as though he can peer straight into her soul.  As Ever is drawn deeper into his enticing world of secrets and mystery, she’s left with more questions than answers. And she has no idea just who he really is—or what he is. The only thing she knows to be true is that she’s falling deeply and helplessly in love with him.





I am obsessed with this series! I know I really can't say that since I've only read two books of it, but it is so good! I got a ARC for The Demon Trapper's Daughter and I was pulled into this world immediately. This is sort of a dystopian novel. It's set in the future of America where demon's roam the earth and people called demon trapper's, trap and sell the demon's to people who dispose of them. Riley is one of the only girls to become a demon trapper and she of course has a hard time proving herself to the older trapper's. This series is amazing and you definitely should check it out!! 


Overview: Riley Blackthorne just needs a chance to prove herself—and that's exactly what the demons are counting on… Seventeen-year-old Riley, the only daughter of legendary Demon Trapper Paul Blackthorne, has always dreamed of following in her father's footsteps. The good news is, with human society seriously disrupted by economic upheaval and Lucifer increasing the number of demons in all major cities, Atlanta's local Trappers' Guild needs all the help they can get—even from a girl. When she's not keeping up with her homework or trying to manage her growing crush on fellow apprentice, Simon, Riley's out saving distressed citizens from foul-mouthed little devils—Grade One Hellspawn only, of course, per the strict rules of the Guild. Life's about as normal as can be for the average demon-trapping teen. But then a Grade Five Geo-Fiend crashes Riley's routine assignment at a library, jeopardizing her life and her chosen livelihood.  And, as if that wasn't bad enough, sudden tragedy strikes the Trappers' Guild, spinning Riley down a more dangerous path than she ever could have imagined. As her whole world crashes down around her, who can Riley trust with her heart—and her life?



I started reading this series in high school and it's just now finished. I've only read up until Angel. This is definitely a series that I've come to love. I know I keep saying this but these books are definitely different. Bird Kids that's all I'm saying. Check them out for yourself.


Overview: Fang, Iggy, Nudge, the Gasman, Angel, and Maximum: six kids who are 98% human and 2% bird. They grew up in cages, living like rats, but now they're free. When the bloodthirsty Erasers -- half men, half wolves genetically engineered by sick and sinister scientists -- kidnap little Angel, the Flock embarks on a rescue mission full of nonstop action, adventure, and soul-seeking -- not to mention a little bit of saving the world on the side. After the mutant Erasers abduct the youngest member of their group, the "birdkids," who are the result of genetic experimentation, take off in pursuit and find themselves struggling to understand their own origins and purpose.





I couldn't find a good picture with every book in the series, so I posted the first one (it has the first three books in it.). I know most people have said this book is juvenile and a little over the top with the whole her being goth. But the thing you have to know is that this book is from the first person view of a fourteen year old girl. If you think back to how you were when you were fourteen you should understand. I actually loved the books. Read the overview and maybe and excerpt from it and form your own opinion about it. Don't let others decide what you read. Just because they don't like it doesn't mean you won't.



Overview: 
A new guy in town.

Rumors of vampires.

Dangerous first love.

This is where it all begins. . . .

The mansion on top of Benson Hill has stood empty for years. But one day it seems to be occupied, and its mysterious, handsome inhabitant Alexander Sterling becomes the source of much talk around town. Raven, a vampire-obsessed Goth-girl who has always considered herself an outsider in "Dullsville," is determined to uncover the truth surrounding the secretive Alexander. As she gets to know him, and their spark intensifies, Raven finds herself in some unanticipated situations. Can Alexander make her lifelong dream come true? But love always has its complications—especially when it can only be awakened at nightfall.




No comments:

Post a Comment